About School Counseling
What do School Counselors Do?
- Implement guidance curriculum to all students at each grade level in the school
- Consult with families, teachers and administration to help meet the needs of the student (Needs could include academic, emotional or social needs.)
- Manage small group counseling to fit the goals of a variety of students.
- Meet individually with some students based on needs
- Find resources and information for students, families and teachers
- Collaborate with school faculty
- Assist in handling a variety of emergencies (family, school, mental health, etc.)
- Help create a positive school climate for all students to learn and grow
How do families access the school counselor to discuss or refer their child?
Get in touch with Ms. O’Brien 207.862.3254, firstname.lastname@example.org
What can a I expect when they have an individual counseling session?
Discussing topics that the student wants to talk about
Reading stories or playing games that might help a student understand a situation more clearly
Creating and maintaining rapport
Trying to find a plan to better serve their child
Consultation and collaboration surrounding a specific event or issue